I get a kind of twang

guytpguytp Posts: 372Member
Hello,

Been playing with bass for jsut over a week now and decided to tune down to CGCF (low-to-high) to play some SOAD... and on my what was originally E but now C string when Im playing fret 5 or below I get a kind of twang if I'm not gentle with it... I guess its hitting the fretboard.

Is this because the strings simply aren't designed to be loosened like that (if so is there any way to correct this elsewhere on the guitar?) or is it due to my playing style... when doing it gently its fine but anything above a timid touch results in this occuring. This also occured slightly in standard tuning on the E string when playing first fret.

If its my playing style what are the recomendations?

Thanks in advance !

Guy

[edited for correct string naming ;)]

[ 09 July 2003: Message edited by: guytp ]

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like the strings are just too slack for that pitch. Heavier gauge strings should help (heavier gauge = more tension at a given pitch).
  • Options
    Okay, I'm a little confused by your tuning, but I'd guess Andi's on the money with the string guage advise. That's your E string tuned down to C, right? The 'standard' is to list tones from lowest to highest \:\) If you're tuning down 4 semitones I'm not surprised the bass sounds farty. A low B is often strung with a 125 / 130 guage, an E string is normally about 95/105. You can generally tune a tone up or down without too much hassle, but even then the string will rattle around, expecially if you have light guage strings. If you want to string your bass that way I'd try to get hold of something about 115, shopping around you should see something you like. You could also try a B string from a five string bass and tune up, you might need to adjust the tension on the neck though.

Apart from changing string guages, you could try taking the whole tuning up a couple of tones, giving (as you listed them) G#DAD, meaning you only have to detuen the E a tone and tune the G string up a semitone.

You could start moving the bridge saddles around a little, but I wouldn't recomment this unless you plan to have the bass set up in the near future.

The equation for frequency is something like f = sqrt (Tension /( mass * length)) / L (I think there might be a constant in there somewhere as well, root 2?) so basically, as youincrease length the note gets lower. If you want to tune low, make the string longer, reduce tension or increase mass.

It's great though that you're playing around with altered tunings so soon after buying the bass. If more people were as adventurous we'd have much more interesting chart music ;\)
  • guytpguytp Posts: 372Member
    Heh sorry about me listing tunings back to front! \:\) Its dropped D then everything down 1 tone I think technically (from low to high CGCF)... its for some SOAD as thats how its all tuned and thought I'd have a go at what I could do ! \:\)

The setup that comes with regent guitars (I think although cant swear cuz itd involve walking into nex room) says that if you change the gauge of strings t invalidates the free re-setups at 6 and 12 months... guessing any kind of playing around is so may wanna try different tuning or jus be gentle lol \:\)

Is it possible (someone @ Regent may be able to help, or someone who jsut knows things) to during the next setup have it set so that itll be quite happy playing tuned like this rather than standard EADG?

Hmm I see to be waffling and randomly jumping my thoughts around :P
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by guytp:
    Is it possible (someone @ Regent may be able to help, or someone who jsut knows things) to during the next setup have it set so that itll be quite happy playing tuned like this rather than standard EADG?

Yes, although if you ever want to tune back to EADG then the neck will most likely start to bend horribly due to the higher tension, resulting in high action ( the strings are higher off the fretboard making it hard to play). You'd then have to get it setup again if you wanted to keep it tuned to EADG.

What I'd look into if I was in your situation would be some good octave pedals - these take the note you've played and drop it down an octave (12 frets). Most of them then mix the new note in with the old one, but there are usually controls to adjust the level of each note. The fingering (fnarr! ;)) might be slightly harder, but it's all good as it will help strengthen your fretting fingers. \:\)

EDIT: Of course, this might not be for you - I just like pedals and I'm stubborn about different tunings (I generally refuse to play anything in Drop D :o)

James

[ 09 July 2003: Message edited by: donut ]
  • Options
    I'm actually a bit funny about down tuning as well, mostly because its just hassle \:\)

BTW, Is it just me or is there no point in downtuning every string for bass. I always thought you would only ever need to drop tune the E (unless you playing chords that is ;\)

[ 09 July 2003: Message edited by: good_mourning ]
  • Options
    I think it might be to retain the relationship between strings - so you can still play scales and stuff without having to jump down the fretboard after playing on the lowest string.

James
     Quote:
    Originally posted by good_mourning:

BTW, Is it just me or is there no point in downtuning every string for bass. I always thought you would only ever need to drop tune the E (unless you playing chords that is ;\)

My theory is that its to make fingering easier as well... and hwen like me youve only been playing a week jumping up and down the fretboard is difficult enough let alone extra effort ;\)
  • Options
    Really, get used to it. It would be an odd habit to pick up when you've only been playing a week.

The further up the neck you play, the more intonation issues you'll have - the note will sound more "off" if you're playing at the top end of the fretboard. EADG was picked for a reason...
  • Options
    My personal advice:
    Stick in standard tuning. You can still technically play System, your'll just have to change the fingering, and maybe play it an octave higher (which is where donuts pedals come in)

Don't get into changing the tuning to early otherwise you won't pick up the crucial lessons where you atomatically learn which notes are where!

billy
    Good point... lol I should buy another bass and just tune that to CGCF hmm not quite got that much money to burn at the moment maybe later in the year lol :-)

Good idea to ivnest in a pedal then heh :-)
    http://www.regentguitars.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Pitch_Shifting1.html

Any offers on whether the OC-2 will work well with the lower frequencies of bass as its only listed in the electric section - not the bass.

Would this be suitable if I decided not to go for a multi-FX pedal - i.e. have it so that "original octave volume=0, 1 below=full, 2 below=0" or something like that or am I barking up the wrong tree again \:\)

Edit: I think Im barking up the wrong tree as it doesnt seem to cut out original octave \:\) Any suggestions for what I'm looking for :) ?

[ 09 July 2003: Message edited by: guytp ]
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it does - the middle knob is labelled 'Direct Level', and it says in the blurb beside it "...Each tone has a separate volume control...", which implies you can cut out the note you play. It should work for bass - there's reviews for it at the Bass Gear Review Archive , both of which are favourable. I have read though that it has trouble tracking below the lowest A on a bass strung EADG and the 2nd octave down isn't much use lower down the fretboard, but I think most octave pedals have this problem.

Your best bet though would be to go to RG (you said you lived about 30 mins away?) and try it out. The only other octave pedal that comes to mind is the EBS Octabass , which is much more expensive (£149!!) but I've heard good things about.

James
    Hmm going in means... going in and its a good 3 mins in a car or 30 min walk lol \:\) Why do you think I sue the internet... Im busy sleeping during working hours although yer that probably makes sense \:\)

Thanks everyone your all gr8:-)
  • Options
     Quote:
    a good 3 mins in a car or 30 min walk lol \:\)

Pfft! :rolleyes: It's a good hour and a half in the car for me (or several days walking!)

;\)

James
     Quote:
    Originally posted by donut:

Pfft! :rolleyes: It's a good hour and a half in the car for me (or several days walking!)

Stop being lazy... walk down and try it out for me and Ill give you a shiny pennny. lol
  • Options
     Quote:
    [QB]Stop being lazy... walk down and try it out for me and Ill give you a shiny pennny. lol[QB]

I'll show you where to stick that bloody shiny penny of yours

;\)

James
  • Options
     Quote:
    I'll show you where to stick that bloody shiny penny of yours
    James

In a piggy bank?
  • Options
    Umm... yes, a piggy bank!

*whistles innocently*

\:\)

James
    I kinda resemble a pig :P
  • Danmeemusic a.k.a. BBDanmeemusic a.k.a. BB Posts: 899Member
    if your going that low, use a 5 string, casue then with the b string you won't need to de tune so far. If your considering changing to a higher guage, don't bother because when you tune back up it will be mucher harder to get any power out of the strings, and you can risk bowing the neck.
    I changed the strings on my Milestone 3 to some rotosound flatwounds, which were a higher guage, Of course i did this without any advice, just after I got it, so I have totally screwed up my playing style, and have bowed the neck of my bass. Both can be fixed, it's just there annoying when they happen.

BB
    Back in EADG now playing up an octave and will invest in an octave pedal me thinks :-) Also going to get a Boss tuner pedal cuz Im sure that by ear and relation between strings at this point Im prob off by a fair amount all over \:\)
  • Options
    I'd recommend waiting for this to come out:

Boss OC-3

It has a bass mode.
  • Options
    Looks nice - when does it come out?

James
    Sexy me want \:\)
  • Options
     Quote:
    Looks nice - when does it come out?

James

I wish I knew, Boss aren't very good at annoucing dates, and tehy are worse at keeping to them.
  • Options
    Ooooh. Tasty \:\)

Except i'll bet it will be at least £100 \:\(

Other things on my shopping list first though.
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Chrispy108:
    I wish I knew, Boss aren't very good at annoucing dates, and tehy are worse at keeping to them.

Damn. \:\(

Quote:
    Originally posted by Swiss Tony:
    Ooooh. Tasty \:\)
    Except i'll bet it will be at least £100 \:\(

That's why Boss put a 'Bass Input' on some of their pedals - so they justify higher prices. You'd be paying extra for something you probably wouldn't use.

James
  • Options
    Well, if I get one, I'd use the bass input!

Or did you mean necessary?
  • Options
    No, I meant most people would buy it to either use the bass input or the normal input - not both.

EDIT: And because Boss sell far more pedals to guitarists than bassists, they'll probably make more money selling that single pedal at a higher price than developing two different pedals (one for guitar and one for bass). I think. \:\)

James

[ 11 July 2003: Message edited by: donut ]