What you think of all the new features and site design?

Richard - Richards GuitarsRichard - Richards Guitars Posts: 679Member
edited August 2016 in Community Feedback
Hi guys OK I need human guinea pigs please! Could you have a trawl around my site and let me know what you think of all the new features and site design. Rather than tell you what they all are maybe you can tell me what you notice and your general feeling of navigation and presentation. Fingers crossed!! http://www.rguitars.co.uk Thank you!

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,730Member, Moderator
    edited August 2016

Good: the new menus.

Good: Individual guitar pages mostly load noticeably quicker than before.

Not so good: I would prefer the dark grey text chat box to default to be its collapsed state as it blocks too much of the screen and I spend more time collapsing it than I do expanding it, especially as it self-expands after I have collapsed it.

Not so good: I searched using menus but couldn't find the Faith Trembesi (12 string) guitar but when I used the site's search it showed immediately. There's something that browsers (people who browse, not computer programs) might miss.

• Originally Posted by Lester:

Good: the new menus.

Good: Individual guitar pages mostly load noticeably quicker than before.

Not so good: I would prefer the dark grey text chat box to default to be its collapsed state as it blocks too much of the screen and I spend more time collapsing it than I do expanding it, especially as it self-expands after I have collapsed it.

Not so good: I searched using menus but couldn't find the Faith Trembesi (12 string) guitar but when I used the site's search it showed immediately. There's something that browsers (people who browse, not computer programs) might miss.

Awesome feeback...

1..  I can change the open, closed state of the search box and will look at sorting tht

2.  12 strings - indeed I have not put an obvious link to these like I had before and will look at that too

Thank you!

• dharma66dharma66 Posts: 829Member

I agree with Lester.

I find the menus much, much more usable, and I hate the popping up contact thing. I'm forever having to collapse it. On these forums, too. Especially on an iPad, it's just constantly getting in the way.

One small thing, selecting "Epiphone" in the used section seems to just display all used guitars?

But generally, a great improvement image

• lancpudnlancpudn Posts: 1,393Member

I noticed a spelling error on the home page.

Brought To You Buy

• dharma66dharma66 Posts: 829Member

Is there a prize for the next to spot it

Originally Posted by dharma66:

Is there a prize for the next to spot it

LOL just underneath      " The UKs Friendliest Guitar Forum "

• Originally Posted by lancpudn:

I noticed a spelling error on the home page.

Brought To You Buy

I presume you are joking and I am meant to spend the next 2 days looking for it?  You jump out and say" just kidding!!!"

I mean the normal home page. Buy/By

" The UKs Friendliest Guitar Forum "

Brought To You Buy
    Guitar Forum Brought To You By Richards Guitars

• Originally Posted by dharma66:

I agree with Lester.

I find the menus much, much more usable, and I hate the popping up contact thing. I'm forever having to collapse it. On these forums, too. Especially on an iPad, it's just constantly getting in the way.

One small thing, selecting "Epiphone" in the used section seems to just display all used guitars?

But generally, a great improvement

I think I have sorted the pop up.  Let me know!

Brought To You Buy

Ha ha that is quite funny - I will sort that now but I was actually asking for feedback on Rguitars.co.uk - not guitars.co.uk!!

Brought To You Buy

Done!

• jangarrackjangarrack Posts: 1Member

I could not find the spelling mistake, but have a few observations.

• The new drop down menus definitely make it easier to navigate and most things easier to find more quickly.
    • The A to Z of brands is a little confusing at first, as it contains categories as well as brands, and anyone looking for say, an acoustic amp may miss the fact that you sell them because they did not think to look under that particular drop down menu for it.
    • Selecting any manufacturer link in the Used Guitars drop down menu brings up everything used rather than acting as a filter.
    • The Set Up Tour will be an important selling point for some and although it is on the new site under 'Why buy from Richards Guitars?', I thought it was easier to find on the old site. Similarly this applies to some really good stuff that is still there, such as the Mindful Guitarist, Customer saves etc, all stuff that is interesting and makes the site stand out from other guitar selling websites.
    • Lastly, as a prospective internet customer, I am always interested to to see some shopfront and in store pictures somewhere on the site, as a shop that looks professionally presented and well stocked can add a sense of security in helping to know more about the business I am or will be dealing with.

Generally, an improvement on what was already a very good site and I hope at least some of the points above are helpful.

• Originally Posted by jangarrack:

I could not find the spelling mistake, but have a few observations.

• The new drop down menus definitely make it easier to navigate and most things easier to find more quickly.
    • The A to Z of brands is a little confusing at first, as it contains categories as well as brands, and anyone looking for say, an acoustic amp may miss the fact that you sell them because they did not think to look under that particular drop down menu for it.
    • Selecting any manufacturer link in the Used Guitars drop down menu brings up everything used rather than acting as a filter.
    • The Set Up Tour will be an important selling point for some and although it is on the new site under 'Why buy from Richards Guitars?', I thought it was easier to find on the old site. Similarly this applies to some really good stuff that is still there, such as the Mindful Guitarist, Customer saves etc, all stuff that is interesting and makes the site stand out from other guitar selling websites.
    • Lastly, as a prospective internet customer, I am always interested to to see some shopfront and in store pictures somewhere on the site, as a shop that looks professionally presented and well stocked can add a sense of security in helping to know more about the business I am or will be dealing with.

Generally, an improvement on what was already a very good site and I hope at least some of the points above are helpful.

Thank you so much .  Will consider all the points raised!  did you not think the lower menu was a good place for all the extra bits such as the mindful guitarist etc.?

I think you may need some wider feedback on that as personally, I find all that and the other blog articles really interesting and would like to see them more prominently linked and usually that would be at the top of the page. Also it is probably relevant that I already knew what I was looking for as I was familiar with it from the old site. For me it all helps to build a mental picture and get some understanding of who I am dealing with.

For other people, this may may be completely irrelevant. However, I still think that the relatively small headings at the bottom of the page with no drop downs to indicate what the headings contain is hiding some of your strongest selling points.

• rnbacademy.comrnbacademy.com Posts: 169Member

I felt there was too much going on distracting me.  The pages load with pop ups, which I  assume are there to help, but what it gives me the feel is that control has been taken from me momentarily, and I have to wait for things to settle, before proceeding.  I'm not a fan of the dimming pages behind when they have words.  Overall, less is more for me.  I just finished a year plus site redesign/rebuild on my own site, so I appreciate how much goes into the thought and planning.

Once things were "done"  I appreciated the clarity of the products.  Good pictures, the bottom section was pretty well done.   The product layout works, as long as there's not a long scroll list of them.  I fond that I had to be careful, where I moved my mouse, or else something would happen if I inadvertently ran over a hot spot.  A large menu would appear, colors would change.  Hot spots on the top, the bottom and both sides.

That also affected my user experience.

Best,

Sean

• When you say hot spots?  You mean the menu?  The only "hot spot" is a menu system which is surely a very natural and easy to use system?

On the left you only have a cickable "log enquiry button" on the right you have a clickable "customer feedback" button - not hotspots that cause any thing to jump out at you. 

So I presume you are talking about the menu?!

That's correct.  The menu - it takes up most of the viewing area when rolled over.  I'm sure it's natural, when I intend to use it, however, I'm talking about the unintentional triggering of it.

Best,

Sean

• Originally Posted by rnbacademy.com:

That's correct.  The menu - it takes up most of the viewing area when rolled over.  I'm sure it's natural, when I intend to use it, however, I'm talking about the unintentional triggering of it.

Best,

Sean

OK sure.  The intention of a menu like this is that if it did not open automatically you would have no idea how much additional content was available.  It also stays open while you are in the menu to help you avoid having to click multiple headings.  IE you can browse over the menu system very quickly and easily without waiting for new information pages to load in.  Overall the benefits of this I think outweigh negatives enormously especially as I am sure it only catches you out the first time of use - but even then should surely benefit you as you see the information.

I do appreciate your feedback and interesting you find it a problem. 

The first 2 days of feedback from google has shown the average time on the site increase significantly along with page views too.  So this does indicate people have been more engrosed in the content - finding what they need and encoraged to look around longer.

As long as I know the hotspots you mentioned on the left and right are the clickable buttons too - that was worrying me!

• Originally Posted by Richard - Richards Guitars:
    Originally Posted by jangarrack:

Hi!

I have re-instated the picture of the shop at the bottom of every page

I have updated the following page ... http://rguitars.co.uk/pages/pr...-the-same-but-better

A link to which is found below the price on every single guitar.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Richard - Richards Guitars:
    Originally Posted by rnbacademy.com:

Best,

Sean

OK sure.  The intention of a menu like this is that if it did not open automatically you would have no idea how much additional content was available.  It also stays open while you are in the menu to help you avoid having to click multiple headings.  IE you can browse over the menu system very quickly and easily without waiting for new information pages to load in.  Overall the benefits of this I think outweigh negatives enormously especially as I am sure it only catches you out the first time of use - but even then should surely benefit you as you see the information.

I do appreciate your feedback and interesting you find it a problem. 

The first 2 days of feedback from google has shown the average time on the site increase significantly along with page views too.  So this does indicate people have been more engrosed in the content - finding what they need and encoraged to look around longer.

As long as I know the hotspots you mentioned on the left and right are the clickable buttons too - that was worrying me!

I do understand the intent of rollovers, and why they are there.  I'm only speaking for myself, since you asked for feedback.  How you use it or do not, is a matter I defer to you.   The explanation as to why it's there, is of limited value; as if that would amend  my user experience on first glance, which is what this was.  First impressions.  Now I know you and like you, so, your explanation to me isn't needed.  But you don't get that opportunity to "explain" your intent to a first-timer, so my hope was that providing you feedback would give you INSIGHT not into my experience, but possibly through the eyes of others who might be there for the first time.  What my experience is, isn't important in and of itself, but the insight towards future users, might be.

The 2 days of Google's average time, may also be indicative of people from here going to your page, specifically because you invited them to for feedback, and spending more time looking at things, as would be proper if they were trying to give you an honest assessment.  Those numbers then would be skewed from "natural readings" say in a months time from now.

And as for the hotspots on the side, I was conditioned to worry about them from experiencing the chat tab on here for a long time that would seemingly Fly open when I wasn't on there, so now when I see things stacked about the page, I expected they would, and avoided them, and instead was surprised that your menu caught me.

It is clear that you have moved away from those tabs popping up now, so kudos there.  It's an improvement.  I found myself many times past annoyed at that tab saying out loud "No I do NOT want to chat Richard" to my screen.

So, my approach may outline a user that you didn't know about; the one that likes to browse and not be dynamically engaged, or if they do, it's by their choice.

On your new site, it feels like my experience is dictated to me.  This seems to be the trend with a lot of sites.  Now there are landing pages, must sign in with Facebooks, enter emails if you want to see the thing that you came here for.  Funnels and actions.  It doesn't feel like I am in control of my user experience except to leave if I don't like it.

A spinning darkened screen when I get there may not be what I went there for.  Now I click a button to get away.  As well meaning or not (and I'm not speaking towards your benevolent intent) It's what you decided I needed to see.  I'm speaking as if I didn't know you and I'm a new user with my personality and preferences.

The menus popping up, colors changing over your tag line when I roll over them, all amount to a feeling that I'm not the one in control of the viewing experience.  You are.   Not only did your menu pop down when I was scrolling to look at the guitar but so did a testimonial.

My user experience then would be that I felt it was invasive.  Like I did not have the option to decide what additional content would be displayed to me, rather that it was dictated and would trigger at times that I did not know they would be.

Best,

Sean

• Ummmm thanks?
  • Ps I think the conspiracy theory lost me a little!!!
    Ummmm thanks?

Fair enough.  

I'll recuse myself from future feedbacks on your site.  

I didn't have to respond and spend  time out of my day to try and help you with insight. Your response has shown me the merits of that decision.

Clearly, I don't fit into your sample range.

Best,

Sean

• Richards GuitarsRichards Guitars Posts: 589Member, Administrator
    Originally Posted by rnbacademy.com:
    Ummmm thanks?

Fair enough.  

I'll recuse myself from future feedbacks on your site.  

I didn't have to respond and spend  time out of my day to try and help you with insight. Your response has shown me the merits of that decision.

Clearly, I don't fit into your sample range.

Best,

Sean

Let me try and explain why I have difficulty with your feedback...

You made a comment about my stats being squewed by a handful of people visiting my site for feedback.  That irked me but it was followed by this...

"In your new site, it feels like my experience is dictated to me"

Why ?  Because of the menu?

" This seems to be the trend with a lot of sites.  Now there are landing pages, must sign in with Facebooks, enter emails if you want to see the thing that you came here for.  Funnels and actions.  It doesn't feel like I am in control of my user experience except to leave if I don't like it. "

NONE of those experiences have any relevance to reviewing my site.  Frankly I have no idea what planet you are on!  You dont have to sign on with Facebook, enter emails, funnels or actions .  The fact that you think you have lost control of your user experience is beyond my comprehension.  The live chat box popped up due to certain criteria - I have removed that.  That was it!!!

" A spinning darkened screen when I get there may not be what I went there for.  Now I click a button to get away. "

What was that comment about?  Spinning darkened screen?  Is this a metaphor!?

"As well meaning or not (and I'm not speaking towards your benevolent intent) It's what you decided I needed to see.  I'm speaking as if I didn't know you and I'm a new user with my personality and preferences."

Once again I have literally no idea what this relates to.  I decided you had to see it?  What do you mean?  I have literally no idea.

"The menus popping up, colors changing over your tag line when I roll over them, all amount to a feeling that I'm not the one in control of the viewing experience. "

Once again I THINK you are talking to the SINGLE menu at the top of the screen.  The one that enables YOU to go where you need to.

"Not only did your menu pop down when I was scrolling to look at the guitar but so did a testimonial."

No idea what you are talking about once again.  A testimonial?  No testimonials pop up using rollovers or otherwise

Hope that explains my bafflement at your comments - constructive feedback was asked for - maybe you thought I meant a lesson on psychoanalytics

• BryBry Posts: 652Member

I dont like it.

I'd only been on there a minute and I now want a Godin and the National next to it.

Hope this helps

• That's the kind of feedback I understand!
    Thank you

Let me try and explain why I have difficulty with your feedback...

You made a comment about my stats being squewed by a handful of people visiting my site for feedback.  That irked me

At least you explained your difficulty. Your previous,  "uummm thanks?" was far from an explanation.   I would have appreciated it more if you'd asked questions.  No one was attacking you.

But when a comment "irks" you, that tells me that you heard something you didn't want to hear.  I don't have insight into the Google numbers on your site as you do, but I know that when you announce something new, initially you might get a few curiosity seekers, and some may actually post their feedback, but another percentage, may be lurkers who also went to see what it was, and DIDNT post feedback.  I was simply saying that your "numbers" may not be as accurate.  Moreover, you don't need to justify to me why your site is better regardless, but since you brought your "numbers" up, I responded.  I'm sorry if that "irked" and offended you somehow.  It's better that you present a point of view that shows me why my point is worng, as you have insights that I don't have, and I wouldn't presume to know your site more than you do.

"In your new site, it feels like my experience is dictated to me"

Why ?  Because of the menu?

I've explained it to you in my earlier posts.  Read what I said.  You don't have to like it.   You can let it "irk" you.  You've got plenty of people that apparently feel different. You can deride me disingenuously as having a "conspiracy theory" and misread my words.  That's your prerogative.  But on my part, I was simply trying to provide a point of view.  I'd have shared the same thing with my best friend, if it were their site.

" This seems to be the trend with a lot of sites.  Now there are landing pages, must sign in with Facebooks, enter emails if you want to see the thing that you came here for.  Funnels and actions.  It doesn't feel like I am in control of my user experience except to leave if I don't like it. "

NONE of those experiences have any relevance to reviewing my site.

Actually they do have relevance, because that's been my experience on other sites, including yours with the old chat popup.  

I never suggested that your site included all those invasive things, but I did say that this kind of "thing" is the "trend".   And pop ups, darkening screens and your welcome message certainly fits into that kind of "here's what we want you to see and read", that goes beyond just letting someone click and scroll page.  To further elaborate, your site welcome message, actually prevented me from scrolling until I clicked out.  When I have to move something out of the way (via click or otherwise navigate away) to get to what I want, that's what I consider "invasive" and directing my user experience. 

To further elaborate. in your case, a half page menu pops up, complete with a testimonial, and a tagline changes color, and a darkened screen appears, with a welcome message spinning in, are not things I came there looking for, and that they are items/behaviors of the page that engaged me while I was looking to do something else.

To further elaborate, if I wanted to see what the "additional content" was, I  know how to click on a menu, I would not be lost on your site because it didn't pop open.  

Frankly I have no idea what planet you are on!  You don't have to sign on with Facebook, enter emails, funnels or actions

I didn't claim all those things that about your site.  I said that the trend was, that the user experience was being dictated by all sorts of means, and those just a few examples.  You extrapolated it to read that I was claiming that your site had all of those things.  A careful re-reading of what I said, will not support that assumption.

That said, your site definitely had the kind of elements, that convey similar associations.  You might not have a FaceBook sign in, but you did have elements that directed me, and did not let me do what I was going to do.  You did have it so that I could not navigate through the scroll without a half page menu pop up, and as the attached diagram will show, the place in yellow was the only place that I could have navigated to AVOID that menu.

The fact that you think you have lost control of your user experience is beyond my comprehension.  The live chat box popped up due to certain criteria - I have removed that.  That was it!!!

I didn't lose control of the user experience.   I don't know what your criteria was, but it would be my hope that I'd have the choice as to what I want to pop up or not.  That inadvertent navigation, and interruptions would not be part of the site experience.

" A spinning darkened screen when I get there may not be what I went there for.  Now I click a button to get away. "

What was that comment about?  Spinning darkened screen?  Is this a metaphor!?

No, it was actual - When I first clicked to see your site that you said you required feedback on:

The site loaded.  I went to scroll.  That was MY intent.  Do you understand? 

The screen darkened.  I could not scroll.  I did not seek this.  Do you understand the difference?

The screen "spun" in some words, that explained the site, and was a welcome message. The site was dimmed behind the words. This is what I mean.  This is something that I did not come looking for.  I came to look and scroll and view the content that I wanted to see.

I had to "click" to make the screen go away, so I could scroll.  

Then as I started to move down, I had to cross the menu.  The only way to NOT engage the menu was to not be around it in any way.  That left a small border to the right or left of the menu bar. hedged by two tabs.  You don't have to LIKE my answer, but you can't dispute it.

The pop up, was your doing, the places in YELLOW are the only ways I could avoid the menu.  As you can see, another pop up, this one with a countdown timer is captured in the screen shot.  Did I engage this?  No. 

"As well meaning or not (and I'm not speaking towards your benevolent intent) It's what you decided I needed to see.  I'm speaking as if I didn't know you and I'm a new user with my personality and preferences."

Once again I have literally no idea what this relates to.  I decided you had to see it?  What do you mean?  I have literally no idea.

"The menus popping up, colors changing over your tag line when I roll over them, all amount to a feeling that I'm not the one in control of the viewing experience. "

Once again I THINK you are talking to the SINGLE menu at the top of the screen.  The one that enables YOU to go where you need to.

No.  I've attached screenshots, this time.  I've explained it above.

"Not only did your menu pop down when I was scrolling to look at the guitar but so did a testimonial."

No idea what you are talking about once again.  A testimonial?  No testimonials pop up using rollovers or otherwise

I thought it was a testimonial, it turns out that it was just you talking to the reader, I thought it was a testimonial because it was encased in quotes.  My bad.  I've attached the content in question, so you can see how that showed up in the menu. 

Hope that explains my bafflement at your comments - constructive feedback was asked for - maybe you thought I meant a lesson on psychoanalytics

I gave you feedback.  Clearly you didn't like it.   I've clarified some points.  As I said, before, as to my intent:

Now I know you and like you, so, your explanation to me isn't needed.  But you don't get that opportunity to "explain" your intent to a first-timer, so my hope was that providing you feedback would give you INSIGHT not into my experience, but possibly through the eyes of others who might be there for the first time.

What my experience is, isn't important in and of itself, but the insight towards future users, might be.

and

my approach may outline a user that you didn't know about; the one that likes to browse and not be dynamically engaged, or if they do, it's by their choice.

Clearly, that perspective was not wanted, as you've made it personal, and have taken your shots at me, and proceeded to denigrate me as if I were psychoanalyzing you.

Best,

Sean

RG

RG2

Originally Posted by jangarrack:

Hi!

I have re-instated the picture of the shop at the bottom of every page

I have updated the following page ... http://rguitars.co.uk/pages/pr...-the-same-but-better

A link to which is found below the price on every single guitar.

Thank you!

Yes, I like all these changes and think they work very well.

Just one other thing I noticed is that the pictures in the acoustic guitar setup tour all seem to have captions which look like code in square brackets e.g.

[caption id="attachment_562" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="One of the key indicators of how well a guitar will play is to check the height at the 12th Fret"]

Also the pictures are links to - "Error The page you requested could not be found" on the www.guitar.co.uk site.

I hope that is helpful.

• Ahhh indeed - that was all imported from my old blog site - I must do that too!

Thank you!!

Perfect help - thankyou.  So grateful

• AndyjrAndyjr Posts: 659Member

Hi, Richard

I've had a good look at the rguitars site.

In terms of absolutes, this is one of the best 'selling' websites I've seen for guitars.  I particularly like the:

• Speed and ease to see the various ranges
    • The quality and quantity of the photographs
    • The clear and full detail descriptions
    • That you can choose to see all makes in a particular category or specific makes

Then in terms of making what is already good even better:

• As folk have already said - the pesky pop-up!  It's (almost) fine for a desktop but in the way for a tablet
    • The 'Further Important Pages' items look like "small-print" items rather than important menu links.  Now I know, I can find the other bits but a new visitor might well miss them.  Maybe just increase the font size or bold or something?
    • Quite a few of the links - particularly the specific makers in the A-Z section, even when I know there are those makers' guitars on the site - go to the general 'all guitars' page.

Overall, though, a great starting off point and I know you are putting in a lot to make it even better.

Andy