Radio 2

2»

Comments

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,721Member
    Yep, I think that's it. Music has always been a generational thing - I'm sure we were all rebellious teenagers once upon a time and wanted a soundtrack for that rebellion from people our own age, and no doubt today's pretty young rebels want the same thing, either through Little Mix or the Rag and Bone Man (whoever he is) or Grime (whatever that is). Good luck to them - but there's been a whole generation of other rebellious teenagers who have come and gone since my day. Today's pop music is about 40 years too young for me.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    Rag and Bone man is a truly great singer - name inspired by Steptoe and Son of all things !
    Rag and Bone man is a truly great singer - name inspired by Steptoe and Son of all things !
    edited February 2017
    Nick - The book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence (Persig) has a lot to say about what qualifies as *genius* and how society controls quality and the path our collective thought takes, to lay down the railway tracks pointing to the next destination and who will be/are the master track layers.

Outside of science genius is decided by a privileged elite (inside science it is decided by objective proof, there is no bull***t.)

There is no way to quantify if Bowie was truly great other than if enough people tell us so and if enough airtime is devoted to weaving his work the very fabric of our era. To become a cliche' requires repetitivity and powerful friends to push for you to generate a consensus.

Play it enough and I believe that The Birdie Song would have become 'genius'. In fact it is genius but several centuries removed. It is based on *traditional* folk rhythms so successful that it became passe and a joke, but let's not detract from the fact that that music was considered to have such genius that it stuck and was passed down for centuries as a national characteristic.

Queen is at risk of heading that way. It already features in furniture adverts during its band member's lifetimes !

• MarkbluesMarkblues Posts: 134Member
    I hear your frustration Kevin. Classic FM is just as bad. You can predict them playing their own artists time and time again
    Internet Radio is your friend!

https://www.internet-radio.com/stations/

"Music from 39,809 radio stations!"

I just clicked on the Americana option and there are some gems there - on the playing now option I can see Leon Russell, New Grass Revival, Jimmy Le Fave, Jerry Reed... Who needs anything else? These are my versions of your Madness, Cure, Human League etc

You can even see how many people are listening to each station so you know if it'll meet your share with the nation requirement.

I've chosen Radio Vagabond. Look at the last seven songs:

◾Great American Taxi - We Can Run
    ◾Bob Dylan - Most Of The Time
    ◾Lucinda Williams - Fruits Of My Labor
    ◾Jerry Reed - She Got The Goldmine (I Got The Shaft)
    ◾Neil Young - Cinnamon Girl
    ◾Shinyribs - Trouble, Trouble
    ◾Little Feat - Mercenary Territory

A mixture of some of my favourites (my favourite guitar picker and my favourite band) and some new names.

Perfect!

Ok, very bad form to reply to one's own post but I just had a wonderful hour listening to Vagabond. So much great music, some new, some old, some new tracks by old artists. I'm hooked.

I mean, you guys wold probably hate this particular station, but the principle holds. Choose the genre / era / style of choice and fill your boots. It's radio - so you get the surprise and the shared experience, but you get music you like too. Job done!
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member
    Derek_R said:

I'm sure we were all rebellious teenagers

Nah, I was a good teenager... I grew rebellious as I got older! Now is the time I want to play a Les Paul Jr thru a Marshall full stack and jump off the drum riser!
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member

Nick - The book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence (Persig) has a lot to say about what qualifies as *genius* and how society controls quality and the path our collective thought takes, to lay down the railway tracks pointing to the next destination and who will be/are the master track layers.

Outside of science genius is decided by a privileged elite (inside science it is decided by objective proof, there is no bull***t.)

There is no way to quantify if Bowie was truly great other than if enough people tell us so and if enough airtime is devoted to weaving his work the very fabric of our era. To become a cliche' requires repetitivity and powerful friends to push for you to generate a consensus.

Play it enough and I believe that The Birdie Song would have become 'genius'. In fact it is genius but several centuries removed. It is based on *traditional* folk rhythms so successful that it became passe and a joke, but let's not detract from the fact that that music was considered to have such genius that it stuck and was passed down for centuries as a national characteristic.

Queen is at risk of heading that way. It already features in furniture adverts during its band member's lifetimes !

I dont know about the Birdie Song analogy... lol But Bowie has certainly recorded more than his fair share of clunkers (Black Tie White Noise, anyone?! ughh) but I for one have never needed other people to tell me if someone is a genius or not. I've never been one for labels - talented, genius, it's all just envy, really!

But Bowie being ahead of his time on a number of occasions is well documented and beyond opinion or taste, as far as I can tell. There are lots of examples of artists going on when they should have quit (Paul McCartney, Neil Diamond... oh dear did I say that?!) that when someone goes out on a strong note it's definitely noticeable.

For me, a truly great piece of music won't hit me as such right away. It takes time to go in. At first it's uncomfortable because it's not familiar, but after a while, I get used to it, get to know it and understand it and I get to appreciate the layers.
    Well put.