what Overdrive/Distortion Pedals to sound like ACDC?

what Overdrive/Distortion Pedalssound like ACDC?

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 857Member
    Hello Kind and welcome.

The question is as long as a piece of string! The playing technique of the young Bros plays more than a small part in the sound, but essentially anything that gives that old marshall plexi overdriven sound and some Humbuckers will get you there. Now having a 100w plexi plate amp at full chat is impractical in almost every situation, so that gets you to using a decent amp voiced that way (probably using valves) and either a loudspeaker attenuator to tame the volume or a pedal like the zvex box of rock. It might help to have some compression to simulate the slight sag in the amp and the effect of the 4x12 cab having the greenback celestions pushed very hard. A bright sound seems to work better and let the compresser take the edge off that.
    There is a video chanel called andertons TV where a couple of guys try to sound like popular artists with a small budget. It is entertaining but really just goes to prove it's not the gear so much as how you use it.
    From my three overdrive pedals I would select my Blackstar HTDrive and push it pretty hard (gain about 60%) humbucker pickups and guitar vol and tone on 10. The rest is in the 'all depends' catagory of what gear you have.
    Your best bet is to visit a pedal emporium with your guitar and try a bunch of them out. Forget flashing LEDs and fancy paint jobs with suggestive names and buy with your ears, the likes of BOSS pedals are big sellers for good reason.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 807Member
    Hi Kind. Hope you enjoy your stay here.
    Good solid advice from Mr Blonde there. It depends on your amp and guitar, of course, and what era of AC DC you’re listening to. Go for a lower gain pedal or a booster and see what that does to your amp.
    That’s all I’ve got.
  • KindKind Posts: 9Member
    ok thanks, i already have an ibanez ts9 aswell as the boss sd1. What setting do you reccomend?
    Less is more is usually a good Maxim. The amp will impart some characture too but experiment and understand what your gear is capable of. Over time I've come to realise that my playing style/approach will suggest the tone I'm looking for far more than an effect, so the effect is just the icing on the cake.
    Try setting the pedal up to spit fire into the amp that is hot and then turn the guitar down so it drives the input gently. Then reverse that so you play hard with the guitar on 10 but the pedal and amp gain way down etc. You will discover differences that can be adopted in your playing style and then the FX are less important. Get that gain structure to your liking and you can coax a few notes out than dig in to emphasise one or two before some gentle strumming and the amplification will respond in kind.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,567Member, Moderator
    Drifting off the OP's question, following ESBlonde's comment, my life changed when I plugged straight into my Mesa Boogie combo, cranked it for the distorted sound (on the lead channel) I wanted and then rolled the guitar volume back down to around 4. Up to that point I had always had the guitar's volume on 10 and tried with limited success to shape the sound using the amp's controls and pedals.
    Yes Lester It's quite the eye opener when the hands and guitar really become the controller of tone. Gradually you believe you can make music as opposed to playing notes and chords.
    It's hard to impart that lesson to people with just words, you just have to experience it for yourself.
    There are lots of ways to sound, like, AC/DC. This is what I use. Your mileage may vary. ACDC
  • martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 368Member
    Boss DS1 pedal will get you in the ball park. Cheap & well built; the older the better.
  • martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 368Member

There are lots of ways to sound, like, AC/DC. This is what I use. Your mileage may vary. ACDC

It only works whilst wearing short trousers.

That’s what I’m doing wrong. Just sounds like Smoke on the Water when I try it.