I Should Post Here More...

Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,721Member
... but I've nothing to say :-O

Trying to think what's happened recently?

Hmmm... Had a new slide - a Mudslide - for Christmas. Very nice. Every time I play, or listen to slide, I think I need to get into it more. But then I don't.

Did the first gig of the year last week - a theatre gig in Hereford. Superb night. It was like being a proper musician for the evening, Standing ovation, the lot. Then it was up four hours later to go to work. Hmmm. Not quite like being a proper musician, then.

Tonight I'm rehearsing for a gig next Sunday when we're supporting the Bully Wee Band who are, I'm told, legendary. Although I must confess they are part of that genre of music I know little about. Looking forward to it though.

Still working too hard and driving too far. Need to work on an exit strategy from the rat race so I can concentrate on music and writing (latest book out this month, by the way - already available in Kindle!).

Been listening to a lot of You Tube. There are some very good folks out there. How come they're not on TV or the wireless? Heard some stories about professional miming at the Hereford gig from a professional soundman. Makes me angry.

Sigh.

Hey ho.
Derek

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    I haven't much to say either !

Well. I do but not on guitars.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 980Member
    Stick around Derek you had plenty to say right there. I did my first gig of the year Friday night and took all weekend to recover. Back in the office now and it feels like an age ago.
    Re miming, it's the music industry and sadly people used to not paying for music seem happy to accept a lower standard of performance (aided by technology). Lets hope real performers get a chance to prove what they are capable off before it all gets to plastic.

• LesterLester Posts: 1,730Member, Moderator
    edited January 2018
    I have to raise my hand in shame as there was a time I was without a band and made my living by making my own backing tracks, a mix of MIDI and recording myself. It was guitar karaoke - me playing guitar to my backing tracks. It served me well for a few years doing functions and even MTV trainee director courses, which is where this video was shot back in '95.

Wow. That's really cool. You look like Kelsey Grammer.
    edited January 2018
    Pros do miming too. Their management demand it. They can't afford all that expensive promotion and production of records going to waste because of a duff performance on prime time TV. In some cases TV producers can't offer the sound production.

MUSE always swap position in the band to indicate to fans the situation. A full rotation of staff here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xymez5
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,721Member
    No shame in that Lester. That's great! I have no issue with anyone using backing tracks or even miming as long as they're upfront about it and aren't trying to convince audiences that they're doing something that they're not. We - the audiences - can then decide if we want to pay our money and listen to a recording (and watch the nice dancing) or stay at home.

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member
    Nice video, Lester. Great tone :) I'd love to see more, if you have it.

Derek, I don't worry about why people aren't famous anymore. I personally know players who are some of the best in the world but will never be heard outside of their own town. Sad, but that's how it is. And I think that's ok. The world doesn't need international fame, it needs local heroes who make a difference in a small circle. If each player is happy with that, and they have a fulfilling life, that's just fine.
    Ok, I'm getting a little preachy, but I think 'fame' is overrated, potentially damaging and something we don't have to yearn for to validate our lives.
    (/soapbox)
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,721Member
    Hey Nicholas. Yes, I agree with fame (or the lack of it) for myself - I'm happy enough to be obscure and not need such validation (and I don't have 1% of the talent for it anyway). But I think it's a shame for those that do yearn for, and deserve, the accolades that in this day and age it's all about stuff other than ability a lot of the time.

Anyway, a few more gigs under the belt since the last post, a few more to come over the next couple of weeks. It's all going nicely :-)
    edited February 2018
    Fame is about luck. The entertainment companies decide who's going to be *it* and then their faces are pushed everywhere - they are in cahoots with the broadcast media who promote at every opportunity (the 'non commercial' Beeb being worst for this.)

It helps to be either *on* or ahead of the fashion curve. I know plenty of great local artistes who are frustrated that they've not hit the big time but don't realise that their boat already set sail long ago.

For every arena gig there is one artiste on stage who made it for a huge number of talented people in the audience who didn't, of which there must be thousands a night.

One local band leader said to me "We've not made it because we didn't do London." Which is sad. He'll forever beat himself up over it.

No. He didn't make it because there is very little room at the top.