Rubik's Cube

MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
edited August 2016 in Totally Not Guitars
Well, at least very possibly not age appropriate! To explain, when at school, in the 6th form, I became enmeshed in the whole Rubiks Cube thing that was then kicking off. And recently found an old cube and started noodling around again. I seem to recall being able to average just over a minute in my hey day - and after a bit of practice, I'm surprised to find I'm already close to that again. But things have moved on in the cubing world, in those intervening few decades - the world record is now 5.55 seconds, and the top people can even average under ten seconds. The dexterous finger work is something to behold. So, obviously having too much time on my hands, I have set myself a goal of getting so I can consistently solve the thing in under a minute. To which end, I have just ordered a special new Shengshou Aurora speed cube (I kid you not - there is a whole world of different cube models, specially designed for speed-solving, mind you, only 5.99 + p&p ] and am embarking on learning the favoured "Friedrich Method" which involves learning a whole load of algorithms (sequences of moves) to shorten the number of moves needed. Here, for your possible amusement, is the current world record average run of 5 cube solves (I believe they take the middle 3 times, and discard the fastest and slowest):  And so, having blown any remaining credibility, I leave you with that, except to ask if anyone else might care to admit to an embarrassing (keep it clean!) hobby? 

Comments

• HobbioHobbio Posts: 21Member

I collected stamps for a little while, before I got a hold of myself.

That reminds me actually, my collection needs to go on ebay forthwith!

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Seems harmless enough Megi.

The other hobby I tried ended up with me getting several Exclusion Orders.  It seems my Gamekeeper friend didn't fully explain when he suggested that Stalking is a healthy outdoors pursuit.

Cheers, Reg.

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member

Cheers chaps - at least harmless, I'll settle for that Reg! image

• lancpudnlancpudn Posts: 1,393Member

That's cool Megi. I could sit there messing with it for eternity & still not do it lol, mind you my patience levels would see an hammer coming into the equation after a few minutes.

Cheers lanc - in fact thanks to everyone for not heaping ridicule upon me! I do think what that young chap in the clip above was doing there is a truely astonishing feat - the things that human beings are capable of can be quite boggling.

That is true.  But you've got to wonder what other holes exist in his life to have reached that level of skill.  Girls, friends, girls, education, girls, a social life, girls, music, girls, etc, girls......

Originally Posted by Reg Sox:

That is true.  But you've got to wonder what other holes exist in his life to have reached that level of skill.  Girls, friends, girls, education, girls, a social life, girls, music, girls, etc, girls......

Yes, I suppose so image  Perhaps his girlfriend is a cube nut as well, who knows?

• The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member

I had a mini obsession with the cube a few years back. Decided to learn how to solve it and finally managed to remember the algorithms and get reasonably quick, but that video is mental!

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member

Was Al Gorithm not vice president of the USA a while back?

I was even slower with the Cube than I was with playing guitar notes. I raise my (imaginary) hat to anyone that managed to solve the sodding thing!

Originally Posted by Mark P:

Was Al Gorithm not vice president of the USA a while back?

I was even slower with the Cube than I was with playing guitar notes. I raise my (imaginary) hat to anyone that managed to solve the sodding thing!

Mark, it's just a case of remembering the moves. 

Originally Posted by The23rdman:

I had a mini obsession with the cube a few years back. Decided to learn how to solve it and finally managed to remember the algorithms and get reasonably quick, but that video is mental!

The video is nuts I agree - in particular, I find it amazing how little thinking time he needs, and he seems to be incredibly good at doing things in the most efficient way/order.

Were/are you very fast at it - any tips? image

My new Shengshou Aurora speed cube arrived today - it is amazing, everything turns effortlessly with this lovely silky smooth feel - it just glides. Like night and day compared to the bog standard Rubik's brand one I have been using. White rather than black plastic also, which does look rather cool.  

Still embarrassed though! 

Perhaps that's how that Ibanez would feel if you put down your cube and went out and bought it.  You could feel less embarrassed then

Reg, I'm already embarrassed about the 13 guitars I seem to own. So maybe one teensy weensy little extra Ibanez couldn't make things much worse - but I fear if anything happens re that, it will be in the new year...

Just found this video showing the final of (I think) the most recent cube world championships, in 2013. It's actually quite a gripping drama to watch:

• Graham GeorgeGraham George Posts: 496Member

Megi, I'm lucky if I can remember my way home after a morning out!  

I wouldn't actually call this hobby embarrassing at all . . !!

There's as much dexterity there, from what I can see, as any guitar player tripping the light fantastic across a set of frets!

I know that I can't do it, the nearest to any Cube I get is my Roland amp. 

Originally Posted by Megi:
    Originally Posted by The23rdman:

The video is nuts I agree - in particular, I find it amazing how little thinking time he needs, and he seems to be incredibly good at doing things in the most efficient way/order.

Were/are you very fast at it - any tips?

No, I was utterly useless. I have a constant battle between OCD and CBA so I tend to learn something and discard it. 

• GuitarWorkzGuitarWorkz Posts: 12Member

Sorry for resurrecting a dead horse but I figured I might as well admit to mine and get it off my chest and out in the open, I still play with lego, in fact I not only treated myself to a new lego set today, but I also spent an hour or two putting it together, the thing came with not one but two sets of assembly instructions, a 'part 1' and 'part 2', and it was the McLaren P1 lego kit, so feel free to make fun of me and tease me to your hearts content.  But I'll have the last laugh because I have a cool lego collection, and you lot don't.

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator

I got a colouring book and pencils for Fathers Day. It is branded as Therapy but it is still a colouring book!

• martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 388Member
    I lift weights.  I guess that would class as just ordinary, until I get into details as I train in an old school strongman style, so I lift odd things image

I'm also a keen photographer and a few years back started collecting old Russian cameras and lenses.  The old kit is a real joy to use, if sometimes a bit frustrating.
    Originally Posted by martinsmith99:
     a few years back started collecting old Russian cameras and lenses.

Of all the cameras I have owned, the one that produced the finest images was my first Zorki 4. I owned a second one but it was only mediocre.

• TobeyPTobeyP Posts: 5Member

I have a few weird collecting hobbies. I collect comic books, and figures.

Here's a list of figures

Thunderbirds Are Go

DC's New 52 line

Power Rangers Legacy

and loads of S.H Figuarts,

I also have a large DVD collection in storage as it won't fit in my new place, but that collection could be considered normal.

I can now report that with the help of guidance on the interweb, I have pretty much got myself under the one minute solve time for the Rubik's cube - a typical time is probably around 50 to 55 seconds, but I quite often get under 50. I do still get the odd time a few seconds over a minute - maybe about 10 percent of the time. A bit more practice and learning to use a few more tricks and I think I could get my average down to 40-something seconds, and never over a minute. I know you will all be hugely impressed... image

• lancpudnlancpudn Posts: 1,393Member

I'm proper impressed Megi, I couldn't do it in any time scale whatsoever, in fact I'd break the thing in under 2 minutes out of aggravation lol

Originally Posted by lancpudn:

I'm proper impressed Megi, I couldn't do it in any time scale whatsoever, in fact I'd break the thing in under 2 minutes out of aggravation lol

Breaking the thing would save a lot of time in the long run lanc image but thanks for saying that. I started this thread in November 2014 I see, so that's 10 months well spent... image

• LesterLester Posts: 1,730Member, Moderator
    edited November 2019

Not really a hobby as such but one thing that has taken up a fair amount of my time in the last 2 years is Miriam, the girl who in April became my wife. Miriam is a pianist.

Well, I don't know what there is to be embarrassed about there Lester, unless it's being such a lucky man! Lovely to see such happy photos, thanks for sharing those. image 

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,721Member

Nice one, Lester!

Congratulations, Lester. And it is nice to see you back here.

Congratulations Lester, and I wish the pair of you many many happy years to come.

I know what you mean about getting sucked in.  I limit myself to just this forum and there's a mix of great people, and talk around both playing, and building instruments.  If this can be classed as social media, this is my sole social media presence on the web.

My hobby only becomes embarrassing when I think I might again be getting good enough to play in public.

Cheers, Reg.