A thread about photography

Comments

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,721Member
    Gloucester Prison:
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member
    I've not contributed to the photos thread, long running as it may be as for several years I've had cameras that struggled to even take a decent properly exposed in focus basic point and shoot picture.

But in June i finally invested in a half decent camera, partly to get some pictures around the house and surrounds while we still live here.

I've got nothing like those wonderfully detailed photos from Reg in recent posts, let alone any with intriguing background story interest like with Gloucester Prison.

But there's been a large number of very varied sunsets and general weather conditions here recently, and with the bathroom window facing north west across the water to Fife it's been a good opportunity to snap a few. Here's a couple to be going on with.

Meanwhile I've been trying to get some better pictures of the local feathered wildlife. It's surprised me how strong a character sometimes come across like this guy ...

... and I've also been surprised by just how much colour there can be in what looked like black plumage ...
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    Nice photographs. Your blessed having a view of Fife!
    One from photography class last night:

Impressive composition Derek and great use of contrast and lighting.

In total contrast this has no proper definition - it looked very good on the cameras own screen but something got lost in translation to the big screen though.
    A vain pigeon posing in front of a rainbow a few days ago.
    Sadly the electric cable ended up in better focus than the pigeon but no chance of more than one photo as the damn pigeon flew off. You will see from the lower part of the photo the tell tale signs that I didn't have a chance to even open the window.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    Is that really a vain pigeon posing, or a pigeon posing in vain Mark? :D See what I did there... Sorry, I'll stop now, and actually I think that shot still has a certain something of artistic merit. Just showing part of a rainbow expanded like that is interesting - bung it in the Tate Modern, and it would fit right in.
    Try as I might, I cannot add an image here. How do you do it?
    Hi Jocko - I've been uploading photos to Photobucket. Clicking on Direct Link there once it's uploaded for the address that needs to be copied. Then I've clicked on the 'Image' icon at the top of the Leave a comment box here on the thread and pasted the address into there.

Thank goodness the pigeon wasn't perched on a weather vane Graham or you'd have had a field day with your response there! :smiley:
    The icons weren't there when I was trying it. They are now.
    I was going to post a sharpened version of the pigeon, but I don't upload other peoples imagery to photo sites.
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    A couple of selfies to pass the afternoon.

Looking good, Mr 23rd!
    Cheers!
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    Very distinguished you're looking there 23rd, and perhaps a bit of an air of mystery also. Fine work though for sure (unsurprisingly). :)
    Megi said:

Very distinguished you're looking there 23rd, and perhaps a bit of an air of mystery also. Fine work though for sure (unsurprisingly). :)

Cheers! It was nice to get the lights out for a play again. :)
  • AlidoreAlidore Posts: 528Member
    Hmm, you used that as your icon in the talk photography forum?
    Pete.

“There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.”
    Oh and I have to admit I had a case of GAS recently and am the new owner of a Canon 750D
    Pete.

“There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.”
    Alidore said:

Hmm, you used that as your icon in the talk photography forum?

I did. :)

Enjoy the 750D. It's supposed to be a pretty decent camera.

Here's one from the weekend. I had to use a bit judicious post-processing to darken out all the distractions, but I like what remains. I like the eye contact of the girl, and the fact there's a little sub-plot going on behind.

Cool!
    Pete.

Alidore said:
    Cheers. I might write a feature blog on that for one of my SEO clients.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    edited June 2017
    edited September 2017
    Still doing a bit of photography in-between fingerpicking old country songs. Last weekend I managed a 100 mile bike ride and took a little camera with me. Here's a couple that came out not bad.

Sunrise:

River Wye:

Severn Bridge:
    Excellent !
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member
    Cor, amazing shots.
    More pics! This time from Brighton, where I had a look around the incredibly vast GAK. One could spend a fortune on guitars there!

Mmmm GAK. My favourite music shop on the planet. I bought my Ibanez SR505 bass and Line6 M5 pedal there.
    Oh and I really love Brighton too. Harry Ramsdens is great!
    We also visited a fab restaurant called The Set. Unbelievable food. Definitely a must.

Yea, great photos too Derek :)
    edited September 2017
    Now a City - by Royal decree, no less.
    Well, good for you Brighton. Who knew! I didn't know it even had a cathedral, but it does. And there are still towns with cathedrals that aren't deemed cities. Come on Liz, pull your finger out!
    Brighton - a city made by a Queen. I must go there. I hear good things about it.