Number Six is on its way.

After the anguish and emotional turmoil surrounding finishing my fifth bespoke guitar build, I decided I would take it easy and be nice to myself this time around.
Number six isn't a build, per se, but a partcaster. I bought the parts and I'm refinishing them and bolting it all together.
The body is a basswood strat shape that I modified a little, making the horns a little sharper. I also modded the neck joint to make it easier to access the upper frets. The neck is by K-Mise, maple on maple, which I also reshape just to make it more like mine. I like necks a little narrower, so I filed it down to 1 5/8" at the nut and tapered it up towards the upper frets.

So far I have also primed and sprayed the top of the body, stained the back (leaving a strip about 5mm high between the two that will hopefully look like a natural faux binding) and sprayed the neck clear (which also got an inkjet decal on the headstock).

I positioned some of the bits that I've already got in the pictures - Wilkinson tremolo, parchment pickguard (again, cut to my taste, or lack thereof), single volume knob. There will be a five way switch, single volume with push-push to activate a capacitor that will act as a tone switch, humbucker in the bridge and single coil size rails in the neck. I've already decided on the wiring too - bridge, bridge parallel, both, neck parallel, neck. Simple, no frillls. It's not meant to be a do-everything guitar, more of a rock machine, really. But we'll see once I get some Fletcher pickups in there.

Number 6 progress

Number 6 progress

Number 6 progress

Number 6 progress

Number 6 progress

Number 6 progress

Number 6 progress

Number 6 progress

Number 6 progress

Number 6 progress

Number 6 progress

Number 6 progress

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    I opened this thread fully expecting you to announce the imminent arrival of your sixth CHILD - not another bloody guitar !
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member
    Sorry to disappoint you, Kevin. This addition will probably be quieter, cheaper and easier to look after.
    Oh and I already have a number six of that variety (wifey and I have three each,,,).
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    Just the single volume knob? I know some people like that, but I couldn't live without a tone control. But it's not about me! and this is going to be a lovely guitar Nick, that much is already clear. I like the distinctive look you're creating with the body finish/staining - that will certainly set the guitar apart. :)
    I know, bit odd, but I have another guitar with just a volume and it works, for me, for higher gain, rockier stuff. I'm hoping the fewer pots will make a purer tone. When you plug a pickup directly to the output jack you get way more output and high end, so that's what I'm hoping for with just one pot.
    Thanks G! Very kind of you. I'm crossing my fingers I don't muck up the clear coat!!
    Some prequel shots, which should have appeared first.
    Body and neck, before...

IMG_7073
    IMG_7075

The fret job wasn't too bad, but still needed a little work. For £20-odd quid, it's quite amazing. I think.
    IMG_7078

Close up of the stained body, showing the faux binding.
    IMG_7198

I'm still waiting to do the clear. This is not my favourite part (waiting!).
    I'm wondering if you're going to do the H-S-H pickup setup Nick, since that body is routed for them. I've sometimes fancied such a guitar myself. That stained body really does look like a naturally dark wood, nice job on that one.
    Thanks mate :) This time I'm going for a full sized humbucker in the bridge and single coil sized one in the neck. Just to be different. See what happens! I already have one HSH guitar, which I love. Of course, I could always make another scratchplate to swap at will. Oh yes, MORE pickups.....!
    Can never have too many pickups! I may order in a zebra coil one of those Axesrus Classic 50s - have nothing in particular to use it for, but all the same... :D
    Hehe!
    I think they only have black ones left.. :(
    Zebra with chrome fittings still seems to come up as an option (I don't think that means zebra coils under a chrome cover), and also Gold, which of course with a gold plate cover. Can't remember if the covers they had on the foreign made pickups were nickel silver or brass though, and it doesn't say.
    They are an option but out of stock, so you can't add them to the shopping cart. Denied. I love zebras too.
    Bum! that's a shame, left it too late I suppose! Still black is nice also...
    It does go with everything. And you can always buy chrome covers :D
    Hey. The guitar matches your house.

Cool !
    STALKER!
    Lol so did you google my name or something?
  • danowensdanowens Posts: 2Member
    I love that pick guard shape; it reminds me of a Musicman bass.
    danowens said:

I love that pick guard shape; it reminds me of a Musicman bass.

Thanks Dan. Pickguard shapes can be a bit polarising, can't they? Love em or hate em.
    I see what you mean about musicman looking.
    You've definitely given the guitar a bit of a different look Nick, and taken things away from the Strat vibe, and in a good way, I'd have to say. Although I do love the strat look also.
    Thanks mate. I was aiming for more of a custom vibe, like an updated or slightly improved strat, rather than a copy. Just 'different'. Or 'mine'.
    I'm glad you like it, Graham:-) counting the days until I can spray the clear.....
    You absolutely succeeded - a custom build look is what you've got, as opposed to a partscaster where someone's made a few obvious alterations for no reason. The result of a well thought out overall look, and great guitar building skills! :)
    Aww shucks. Thanks Graham:-)
    I patiently waited the required two months and began layering coats, three at a time waiting fifteen minutes between each one, then waiting two days before doing it again.
    So far so good. I lost count but guesstimated that I have about 20 odd coats on so far. That's two cans of lacquer. One to go.

More news as it happens!
    edited July 2017
    Clear coat

Clear coat

Clear coat

I thought I should put a decal on this one...
    Clear coat

…and a little something on the back. Hey, why not.
    Clear coat

Clear coat
    Looking very good indeed! Love what you've done with the headstock shape and decal, more than a little design flair in evidence there. May I ask what kind of clear finish you've used on that?
    Megi said:

Looking very good indeed! Love what you've done with the headstock shape and decal, more than a little design flair in evidence there. May I ask what kind of clear finish you've used on that?

hehe thanks mate :) I actually designed that on my iPad using a pen-like app (Sketch).

That's Wilko's finest clear lacquer, their own brand stuff.
    I finally figured out how to do the decals. I was using them like old Airfix ones - print them off, float them in water and get them stuff all over your fingers before they curl up in a ball. I had largely ignored the instructions because the Ingrish was a bit broken, but I worked it out. You print them on an inkjet, spray with lacquer, let dry and THEN use them as normal. I made a few extra and violently abused one to see how much they can handle, and it seems they can take a LOT. I screwed one up in a ball and it still looked ok! They were just the cheapest inkjet water slide decals on eBay. Nothing fancy.

Megi said:

hehe thanks mate :) I actually designed that on my iPad using a pen-like app (Sketch).

That's Wilko's finest clear lacquer, their own brand stuff.
    I finally figured out how to do the decals. I was using them like old Airfix ones - print them off, float them in water and get them stuff all over your fingers before they curl up in a ball. I had largely ignored the instructions because the Ingrish was a bit broken, but I worked it out. You print them on an inkjet, spray with lacquer, let dry and THEN use them as normal. I made a few extra and violently abused one to see how much they can handle, and it seems they can take a LOT. I screwed one up in a ball and it still looked ok! They were just the cheapest inkjet water slide decals on eBay. Nothing fancy.
    Wilko's clear lacquer appears to be good stuff! So with the decals, when you say "use as normal" what does that actually involve? Apologies if I'm a bit slow on the uptake!

Excellent. I love the decal too.
    Now relic it !
    Megi said:

Wilko's clear lacquer appears to be good stuff! So with the decals, when you say "use as normal" what does that actually involve? Apologies if I'm a bit slow on the uptake!

Oh sorry, I assume everyone grew up with Airfix kits!
    • Cut out with scissors.
    • Drop in a saucer of water for 30-60 seconds.
    • Slide off backing paper onto guitar (or Messerschmidt BF109/Spitfire/etc).
    • Let dry.
    • Stand in awe of your own brilliance.

Easy :)

Excellent. I love the decal too.

:smile:

Now relic it !

:neutral:
    LOL
    We'll see how the clear coat goes. That may still be an option!!