Bit quiet...

Comments

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member
    BURN BABY BURN!
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    I thought Bry's telemaster looked rather brilliant as it was, rather than with the toasted look. But I'll reserve judgement...
    Maybe he wanted it to play like butter.
  • Ninja_RebornNinja_Reborn Posts: 124Member
    Hey Ninja, lots of selling and buying going on here. Why on earth do you want to get down to single figures :) ?
    What kind of stuff do you write? Anything music related?

I know, there are folks out there who manage with a single guitar...I'm not one of them though. I was giving some thought to an acoustic - I like the Sigma J45 copy or their version of the mockingbird. Yet I found myself eyeing Ibanez RGs on ebay...

I write space opera/pulp scifi - it's just been a private escape until recently; I'm one down in a series of about 6, number 2 is nearly done. Funny thing I have been working with a mate on an idea for a music focused novel - it's embryonic but we have an idea for a story set in the early 90s involving a metal band trying to find its way in the grunge world order.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    I've got the Sigma j45 copy and it's a keeper. Do check out the Vintage V300 mahogany as well.
  • BryBry Posts: 652Member
    Megi said:

I thought Bry's telemaster looked rather brilliant as it was, rather than with the toasted look. But I'll reserve judgement...

Brilliant one still exists, the toasted one is a Guitarbuild reject I got from Ebay. Scorched, stained and shielded and I'll be oiling and photographing it tomorrow :)

Hey Ninja, lots of selling and buying going on here. Why on earth do you want to get down to single figures :) ?
    What kind of stuff do you write? Anything music related?

I know, there are folks out there who manage with a single guitar...I'm not one of them though. I was giving some thought to an acoustic - I like the Sigma J45 copy or their version of the mockingbird. Yet I found myself eyeing Ibanez RGs on ebay...

I write space opera/pulp scifi - it's just been a private escape until recently; I'm one down in a series of about 6, number 2 is nearly done. Funny thing I have been working with a mate on an idea for a music focused novel - it's embryonic but we have an idea for a story set in the early 90s involving a metal band trying to find its way in the grunge world order.
    Wow that sounds fascinating! Pulp sci if? Not a genre I'm familiar with but I'd probably buy it just to see what it's like! You've got some great ideas.

Wow that sounds fascinating! Pulp sci if? Not a genre I'm familiar with but I'd probably buy it just to see what it's like! You've got some great ideas.

I use the term pulp sci-fi because it's straight escapism - think sci-fi where the science is dodgy and dysfunctional characters fly around in horribly beweaponed starships. Isaac Asimov I am not...My website explain it better - www.paulgrover.co.uk - it's all there if you want to know more.

Kevin - how is the Sigma for comfort? I have always been an electric player and in the past have always tended toward Auditorium or OO sized guitars over dreadnoughts.

Although I do love how a dreadnought sounds when stummed, they have presence that you don't get with smaller bodies. I must admit I may have exaggerated the size of a dreadnought in my mind, so I am probably overthinking a bit.
    The Vintage is smaller bodied but with a big sound.

The 'J45' is fine for me. I'm six foot. It is pretty close to the real J45. The Sigma J200 is very close in sound and playability to a J45 True Vintage. It's a big guitar.

I use the term pulp sci-fi because it's straight escapism - think sci-fi where the science is dodgy and dysfunctional characters fly around in horribly beweaponed starships. Isaac Asimov I am not...My website explain it better - www.paulgrover.co.uk - it's all there if you want to know more.

Kevin - how is the Sigma for comfort? I have always been an electric player and in the past have always tended toward Auditorium or OO sized guitars over dreadnoughts.

Although I do love how a dreadnought sounds when stummed, they have presence that you don't get with smaller bodies. I must admit I may have exaggerated the size of a dreadnought in my mind, so I am probably overthinking a bit.
    Oo a link, cool I'll check it out!
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    I've been known to like a bit of sci-fi myself, I'll have to have a look on your website Ninja. :)
    edited September 2017
    I like fantasy/sci-fi so long as the physical rules are set out early and not broken. Toy Story is a favourite in that the toys are alive but everything else follows normal scientific rules. I can't stand The Lord of the Rings trilogy because they make the rules up as they go along.

If Gandolf could cast a spell at the last moment to defeat an unassailable foe then why didn't he just cast a spell and get bloody the ring ?

Three hours of numb-bum that I'll never get back.
    I always enjoyed Randal's Lord of the Rings rant in Clerks II, where he basically sums up the movie as three films about people walking somewhere.

"In that movie even the trees walked"
    Ha ha ha !

That sums it up exactly !

Game of Thrones walks that tightrope really well and manages to stay just within my golden rule.

The latest season does, however, push it a bit on people getting from land-to-land at record speed. I forgive them for that though.

*Spoiler alert***

Just what the hell do you do with a White Walker dragon ????
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,730Member, Moderator
    I check in every day but I have been quiet here because life is rather full at the moment: the room my wife and I rent and use as a studio space is in a building that has a new owner and we have been told that the price will be increasing up by 120% plus higher energy prices. That would mean paying what I paid as a mortgage on a 3-bed semi in the UK so we are in the process of moving out - which includes removing an air conditioner, ventilator, lighting, about 15 cubic metres of acoustic treatment, demolishing a partition wall, and more. It will take a few weeks.

In the meantime, alongside looking for another place, we finished recording a vocal group yesterday for its CD and so mixing that and a CD we are doing for a children's organisation will have to be completed at home on headphones. Plus, completing rehearsals with my wife's choir for its Christmas concerts and other stuff.

That's my poor excuse for being quiet. I have a few things to post with pictures once I sort out a replacement for Photobucket and can post photos once more.
    Sounds like they want you out. I bet other tenants haven't seen such rises.
  • BryBry Posts: 652Member
    Lester said:

I have a few things to post with pictures once I sort out a replacement for Photobucket and can post photos once more.

https://postimages.org/
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,730Member, Moderator
    Thanks Bry.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,721Member
    Ahhh. This place is still here, I see! One day I will have something interesting to say :-) Alas, that day is not today.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member
    Sorry - I've been even more infrequent than usual visiting here.

We're a bit busy with .....

9 1/2 weeks of mischief and pointy sharp tiny teeth!

He's not a bad wee chap. :smile: Thankfully the older dog (9 years) seems to be getting used to the new arrival and they're getting along better - a bit worrying at first that they might not.

So minimal time for forums .... a lot of time spent standing outside in the garden waiting for the puppy to do his duty and save the carpets.

5 minutes of guitar time in the last week and a half. :(
    Same with me. Cockapoo puppy 2 1/2 years ago. Bliss without end.

Enjoy, Mark. He's guaranteed to get you out, make you smile and - one day - utterly break your heart.

That's a good summary of life with a dawg Kevin. There are so many positives - they really do outweigh that final negative but it doesn't make that last stage any easier.

Our older dog will soon be at that last stage - he has a congenital heart condition and is on medication for the rest of his life. An irony that such a big hearted dog has ended up with such a big heart. But he's still active and happy.

Wee Tiree is in full chew mode at the moment and he's certainly getting us out - into the garden in the rain every hour or so! We are looking forward to when we can get out properly with him.
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
    Is that a springer spaniel? They are the most adorable dogs. And he looks like a real charmer! Those eyes.... he’s certainly a good reason to be busy! What fun.

I had a springer as a kid (me, not the pet) and would love a puppy again but it’s the responsibility and holidays. Maybe one day.

I have to look away or I’ll be off to get one tomorrow if I’m not careful!
    Lucky you, Mark!
    Close Nick. Spaniel yes, but a Cocker rather than a Springer.
    He IS a bit of a charmer, and is developing a lovely character. Very affectionate. :smile:

I've lived in a household with a dog on the premises for more than half my life, so it seems the normal. The brief month or two without a dog 9 years ago had us feeling really unsettled and aimless.
    Cockers are lovely too :) yup, well jealous!
    Walked past Weatherspoons sans dog last night and said to wifey "Hey. We could go in there."
    It was like being childfree again. We hurried back to the dog. That's how much we miss him.
    That’s sweet! So no Wetherspoons then?
    No Wetherspoons.
    Don’t blame you. I miss having a dog. Wonderful, forgiving, smart, selfless and caring. The antithesis of cats.
    The anticat.