2 humbuckers 6-way switch scheme I'm going to try...

MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
Just in case of interest/amusement, I'm going to try a new wiring scheme on one of my guitars (black Shine 510). It uses an NSL 6-way toggle switch - these look like a normal 3-way toggle, but give 6 wiring selections. The black Shine I'm doing this to currently has a 3-way toggle, and a push-pull coil-split for both pickups on the tone - but the thing is I never use the coil tap, not least because if changing pickup selections, I haven't got time to operate the toggle switch and push-pull - it's just too much of a faff. And I never really liked the idea of push-pull pots anyhow. So, the new idea is to buy one of these:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/freeway_switch_3x3_03_nickel_cream_tip.htm?sid=da9aa379a26278d9880d248737c8400c&ref=glp_alar_408650_2

and use this wiring scheme, giving the normal three humbucker combinations, plus single coil neck, sc neck + sc bridge, and humbucking neck and bridge in series out of phase (the infamous "SOOP" wiring):

The guitar already has great pickups from Ben Fletcher, with 4-conducter wiring, so that helps. I guess my reasons for doing this is that since getting the Line6 Helix, and also playing more varied music, including pop stuff lately, I like to have some brighter tones available. Yes, I have strats and a tele, which do get used and are great, but if I'm taking just one guitar to a gig where I want a good humbucker sound, but other things may occasionally be useful, then this makes sense. If I like the results, I'll do the same mod to my other Shine 510 i.e. the red one.

EDIT - actually, I notice the scheme above has the 50's style wiring for the tone pot, and I won't do that - instead will modify to my preferred use of a treble-bleed cap/resistor on the volume pot, and without the tone capacitor hanging between the tone and volume pots. Not that it's important... :D

Comments

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member
    This looks like a great plan. Nice one! I’ve seen those free ways and they look like gear sticks. Love to hear how this goes. Are they fiddly to solder?
    Wait a minute.... are those things really £40?
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    I think they'd be fine to solder - but you're right, £40 is OTT. Axesrus has them listed at a more sensible price, but no actual stock - isn't it always the way? Anyhow, project on hold for now... :D

They look like a great idea. I’d love to know how they feel to use, like, how easy it is to pick the position you want?
    Exciting stuff :)
    I’m watching this space :smile:

They look like a great idea. I’d love to know how they feel to use, like, how easy it is to pick the position you want?
    Exciting stuff :)
    I’m watching this space :smile:

Well, afraid on the back burner for the moment Nick - the unexpected strat build has taken over. To be honest, I have a list of various guitar jobs to do, including finishing that tele build project I started and never finished (got a bit bogged down with the body re-finishing). These switches do look like a great idea I agree, perhaps I'll grab one if Axesrus get them back in. :)
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    Where are the caps ?

Where are the caps ?

No caps, apart from the usual tone control one. It's not like the Gibson varitone switch they have on some models, if that's what you're thinking of?
    There’s only one on the tone control.
    Obvs. :)