Good Choice !

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
edited March 2019 in Guitar Chat

Here is a blindfold test of five sub £500 guitars and the one I bought gets chosen as best by one of the players (the better player, as it happens.)

Yay !

When I bought the Sigma the guy at Mansons (a professional player) said "You know. We sell an awful of a lot of acoustic guitars in the £500 range and this one's been ignored - I really don't know why. It's my favourite too." Sadly they are no longer on the wall at Mansons. Nor is the Vintage V300MH I bought. To me it beggars belief.

Tastes are different I suppose.

The vintage (antique) guitars are gone - the acoustic room is now dedicated to Taylor (not a fan) and sadly I've found myself switching to Project Music up the road.

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    Not in the market for an acoustic at the moment KP, but I certainly take note of what you say, and the video results. I did once try a Taylor myself - looked and felt very nice, but can't say I thought a lot of the sound.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    A bit flat for my liking.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,721Member
    It's hard to remember sounds, but I do recall once hearing a Dan Crary track and thinking it was the nicest sounding acoustic I've ever heard. That was a Taylor. I suspect if I put it up against other tracks I might not feel the same these days, but it was one of the few times the actual sound of the guitar jumped out and gave me an emotional reaction.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    Could you find it ?

A lot of famous and brilliant guitarists choose them. The guy at Mansons handed me one last time I was there while I was playing the D35. It was not in the same league, I'm afraid.
  • ChristoefurChristoefur Posts: 20Member
    I always think Taylor are a good bench mark. Their guitars are very consistent. They aren’t my bag, but theyre always pretty good. They do have very seductive actions making them very attractive to electric guitar players
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member
    I once went through just about everything on the market at various stores and came to the conclusion that Taylors are it. For me, at least. They beat out Martin, Larivee and everything else.
    I should give Sigma another try. I do also love Faith guitars. They make a few models I could happily live with.
  • Pete_BPete_B Posts: 563Member
    Andertons don't sell Yamaha
    There is no Mojo!