Unexpected new guitar day...

MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
Not what I was expecting at all when I got up this morning, but my guitar collection has expanded by one. And not the type of guitar I would have expected even if I was expecting one. A kind gift anyhow, and I have to say it's not at all bad, and kind of fun, seems quite resonant and nice to play. The neck is unfinished, which I guess keeps costs down - it feels a bit rough, but I know I can make it lovely with a bit of 600 grit wet and dry, followed by a few thin coats of Tru Oil. Can do a bit of a fret level and setup, and I have a few spare pickups knocking about for an upgrade there. Obviously not a genuine Gibson, and it's a bolt-on neck, but the dimensions, control layout and headstock shape look pretty spot on.

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 980Member
    Yea thats a proper jazz guitar right there! ;-)
    It's often surprising that all these odd shaped guitars are capable of sounding similar to any other guitar you might play.
    Enjoy.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    ESBlonde said:

Yea thats a proper jazz guitar right there! ;-)
    It's often surprising that all these odd shaped guitars are capable of sounding similar to any other guitar you might play.
    Enjoy.

I'm thinking I may use it for a bit of fun on the odd non-jazz gig. Haven't plugged it in yet, but it sounds like it's perfectly decent just from the acoustic response. And yes, the shape doesn't seem to have much bearing on things. So this is obviously an inexpensive thing from the far east, but despite that it appears to be a perfectly viable (if less than ideal for jazz, image-wise) guitar, that will be great after a bit of work on the neck/setup, and possibly pickups. With a more normal body shape, you could use a guitar like this perfectly well for gigging, and I'm sure it would sound just fine. So why do we hanker after the top-end stuff, and pay so much more money? - who knows, but we do anyway... :D
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    Megi said:

So why do we hanker after the top-end stuff, and pay so much more money?

A good question after our Shine purchases!

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    Jocko said:

Megi said:

So why do we hanker after the top-end stuff, and pay so much more money?

A good question after our Shine purchases!

The bargain to end all bargains! Only the other day someone came up to have a look at my guitar after a gig - "Oh, it's a Shine!" he said, a bit surprised "I thought it was PRS or something like that". So he would have happily believed it was a high end PRS if he hadn't found out differently.
  • SilversharkSilvershark Posts: 36Member
    edited August 2019
    I’ve discovered that you don’t need to spend vast amounts for a PRS: just acquired a PRS SE Custom 24 (lefty) in whale blue. I’ve always admired the generic PRS design but felt that a PRS model was beyond my reach because a) they usually cost at least a four-figure sum, and b) lefty PRSs were as rare as hens’ teeth. However, the new SE range changes all that.

So far I’ve been very impressed with the quality of the guitar. It was perfectly set up straight out of the box; all it needed was tuning. It’s fitted out with the standard PRS 85/15S humbuckers with coil splitting, three-way selector switch, master volume and tone controls, and a PRS-designed tremolo bridge. I’m finding it extremely easy and comfortable to play.

• Pete_BPete_B Posts: 563Member
    Not getting along with my prs and prs alikes. The design is just wrong for me to sit down and play. The "Waist" is just too close to the neck, so the body feels heavy and too far away for me to even balance it with the crook of my arm against the body.
    Strat shapes work and SG shapes work, tele too, but prs don't.
    Time to thin the herd anyway as I just ordered a Yamaha.
    There is no Mojo!